Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roe vs. Wade Anniversary



Here is the latest word from Gov. Huckabee. Notice fellow West Virginians that he mentions the tragedy of our miners a few years back. I grew up near that little town. When I got pregnant at 17 with my daughter, abortion was NOT an option for me. Yes, it was mentioned to me quite a few people (not my parents by the way).....but I would never entertain such an idea even at that age. Soon to be 19 years, I'd make that same choice all over again.....



Actually, I would hope I would make a better choice by not participating in an activity to get my pregnant.......and I sure wouldn't have married her dad. LOL But I was beginning to live a self-destructive life......I just didn't know it yet. But I do know I wouldn't give any of my children up for anything in the world. God has placed them in my life during a particular season for a reason.



Well, enough rambling from me.......I'll let Mike speak about the rest of my feelings and beliefs below.......



Life begins at the point of conception. We should protect human life, the foundation of our civilization. It defines us as much as anything does, as to how we treat and how we even view another human life, as to whether it has intrinsic value or worth or whether it does not. Those of us who are pro life believe that we must do everything possible to protect that life, because protection of life is the centerpiece of what makes us unique as Americans. We value the life of one as if it's the life of all. That's why we search n on-stop for that missing Boy Scout, or that missing young mother. That's why we search for the 13 miners in Sago, West Virginia after a mine explosion, or the hikers on Mount Hood. We value life and it is part of what separates us from the Islamic jihadists who celebrate death. They have a culture of death. We have a culture of life.

The clear science of when life begins is "When the male sperm and female egg join, a new and unique life form is created

." Not at birth or viability, or when a lawyer says so. This happens at conception. This life is either human or something else. Science irrefutably would declare that the life which is starting from that moment is human. It's not a parrot, squirrel, or dolphin. It will never become a tree-it can only become a human. It has the entire DNA sequence that it will have for the rest of its life right then. In days it will begin to take on increasingly observable human characteristics and form, but at conception, it is biologically human.

If this life is human, then the only issue left is whether this human life falls under the notion that it has a fundamental right of existence or not. If not, it is because we as a culture have decided that some human lives are simply not worth living. If we can decide that about an in

nocent and unborn baby, we can also decide it on the basis of less absolute criteria than that. If we make that choice (and this is all about "CHOICE," isn't it?) then someone may decide that a terminally ill person is not a life worth living. Maybe a severely disabled child is a life not worth living; what about a person with a limited IQ?

Some might say that's absurd--that an educated and enlightened society would never be so audacious as to begin to terminate life based on such arbitrary excuses? Well, Germany fell into just such a moral chasm in the 1930s. The murder of six million Jews, and millions of others, was justified because of their religion and millions of others were murdered because of their politics. Germany was not a primitive, superstitious culture. It was filled with those deemed to be intelligent and enlightened. But in the end, the truly good people were overwhelmed by the truly evil people.

At the core of our society is the sanc

tity of human life. It is rooted in who we are as a culture and as a civilization. And should we turn our back on this fundamental truth, we have turned our back on the very essence and foundation of who we are as a people. We should always err on the side of life. We as a society believe life is precious.

Today is the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. I believe Roe should be overturned and a constitutional amendment should be enacted to protect life.



It has been reported that President Obama may choose to mark today by overturning some of President Bush's executive decisions protec

ting life. I hope and pray that he does not ever do so, but I fear it is not a question of if, but when.

The task before us is to stan

d more firm than ever in the convictions that life is precious and is the basis of liberty. I will work to elect good men and women to help shape this nation. It will be a long journey. I hope you're ready to join me.

Prayerfully,

Mike Huckabee


No comments: