Sunday, September 23, 2012

What A Week-end!

This week-end has just flown by. I got so much accomplished for the upcoming month and even some housework.  But my week-end didn't start out very well.  Friday was my enemy for some reason.

To start off, I knew Friday would be a little difficult because it would have been my grandmother's birthday.  Her and my grandpa are always on my mind but special occasions just seem to be a little more emotional for me anymore. 

We were reviewing our apple unit this week at school and we were having an apple tasting during snack.  Well wouldn't you know I ended up slicing my thumb instead of the dang apple! None of the kids noticed.  I just nonchalantly got up and walked out of the classroom into the office.  My director was flipping out because there was so much blood!! She  kept telling me to stop squeezing it as I ran it threw cool water until she realized I wasn't even touching it!

Luckily, there was a parent in the building that is a nurse and she came to answer the question we were all wondering.....did I need stitches?? Thank goodness I did not have to get stitched up. She bandaged it up for me and told me to apply pressure and a cold pack. 

Now, on top of that, I am allergic to latex so I can't use regular bandages.  I usually carry my own with me but only had two with me (who would have thought I'd need four or five!).  I bleed for about 3 1/2 hours.....soaked half a roll of paper towels and kept on working!

My director called me Friday night to check on me and just couldn't get over the fact that I continued to work the remainder of the school day.  Yes, it hurt and it was messy looking, but I didn't amputate the thing....why not work?

It is still pretty sore and completely black and blue.  I guess I have to wait for the skin to fall completely off.  Needless to say, I will not be using a knife in the near future!!! After seeing all that blood splatter everywhere it reminded me once again that dropping out of nursing school was definitely the right decision.  I think seeing the blood actually made me feel worse than the cut itself. 

So, I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a much better school day.  I do have my six month check-up with my doctor tomorrow afternoon.  I can't say I'm looking forward to that.  The last thing I need is more life challenges. 

Tomorrow is also my husband's birthday so I have to find time to do something special for him.  Right now, I believe he thinks I forgot! How could I forget the love of my life?

Well, off to relax in a warm bubble bath.  Have a super week everyone!

No comments: