Saturday, September 8, 2012

Just Flippin' Mad

Oh how I wish it was a holiday week-end and I could head for the hills of West Virginia! I am so irritated with my husband right now I could just scream.  In fact, the past few days, we haven't spoken a word to each other.  I just don't feel like wasting my energy and oxygen if I'm not being heard.  And of course it's all over something stupid. 

For some reason, his family thinks that we are blessed financially to just pass money out to them anytime that they ask for it.  If that were true, we certainly wouldn't be living here and would have a nice home on the beach somewhere or in the mountains! Every time they are in a bind or need anything, they call him.  The good thing is that he doesn't make decisions without consulting me first.  But when it comes to explaining it to him as too why we can't help them out......it's like having to explain to a three year old why they shouldn't take a toy away from a friend.  I have to state the reasons in five or six different scenarios for him to even come close to getting it! And then, I don't even think he does.  Actually, I don't think he WANTS to understand the real reasoning that we aren't a flippin' ATM!

I love his sister, don't get me wrong.  We get along well until it comes to something like this because she flat out knows that I do not like her sneaking behind my back to get my husband involved in such things.  She doesn't work, her husband only works when he feels like it and they use what money they do have coming in for recreational activities that I do not approve of.  If they paid their bills, even TRIED, and acted responsibly it might be different.  I just don't see why my household should be living on the edge and go without to support them. 

The only ones that I feel we should ever have to help out are our kids.  We've helped Josh out several times and he's paid us back.  He's our son though.  It's our job to help support them.  My poor daughter Brittany is too much like me and refuses to ask for help or take a hand-out.  It just amazes me what folks expect you to do for them.  We aren't wealthy and we live within our means.  In fact, we JUST live within our means.  The economy sucks and some weeks are tighter than others.  But if one of our kids called us this evening needing financial help, I'd bend over backwards to try and help them.  Whether it be Brittany, Jonathan, or any of our  seven children, I'd do what I could.

I guess I am just tired of folks expecting a free pass in life.  Yes, they may say they'll pay it back, but if you're $800 behind in rent because you want to go blow every dime at the local flea market, how in the world should I trust I'm going to get my money back???

To top it off, after they call and ask him for "a loan" and he tells them he has to discuss it with me first, he dumps it on me to have to call and tell them no! Hello??? Did they call and ask me? So after about 4 hours of him stewing around he finally called to tell them no.  Now, all is silent here because he feels bad for them.  I can't say that I don't, but as I said, if they treated their money with responsibility it MIGHT (and that's a very strong might) be different. 

I don't have a problem being the bad guy.  Actually, I'm the responsible one and my hubby can't have a dime without wanting to spend it.  He's like a kid in a candy store when it comes to that.  I'm the strict one and make sure bills are paid first and we always have a little left for something fun or extra. 

Wow.....I have to admit that stroking the keys of the keyboard to vent has helped quite a bit already.  I'll just wait for the storm to pass and for them get over themselves.  It hasn't helped that work has been stressful the past few days either.  But yet, I will praise Him in this storm as well.

Hope all my blog land friends are having a much better week!

No comments: