Monday, May 12, 2008

McCain, Huckabee & Evangelicals...from HuckPAC

Thought I'd share the latest article from Mike. If you haven't joined HuckPAC yet, you need to get over there and register! Be a part of the excitement of being a Huckabee supporter. Go to www.huckpac.com to register.

The winds have been terrible here. It stormed last night but nothing that was out of the ordinary. When we woke up, the wishing well that Eric had built when we first moved here was in pieces, the boys basketball hoop was knocked over and the backboard shattered and to top it off.....our picnic table from the back porch was lifted and thrown almost into our neighbors yard! And the rest of the neighborhood seemed to have not even a flower petal blown off!!!! Welcome to deployment again Kelly family!

May 12, 2008 - 11:13 AM

McCain, Huckabee and Evangelicals
by Mike Huckabee

Janet and I hope you had a great Mother’s Day weekend. After seeing our niece graduate from Ouachita Baptist University on Saturday, Janet went to Hope to visit her Mother. After church on Sunday, we had a great visit with country singer Josh Turner, his wife Jennifer and their 19th month old son Hampton, and Jennifer’s mother. We had gotten to know Josh during the campaign and not only love his music, but especially love he and his wife’s authentic faith and personal character. In an entertainment business filled with uncontrolled lifestyles and egos, Josh Turner is a wonderful example of an incredibly talented man who hasn’t forgotten where he came from and what is important to him. He is just a refreshing voice in music. Josh was on a bill with megastar Carrie Underwood and we went to the show. It was terrific. Being a musician, I couldn’t help but spend most of my time watching the bass players in each of the truly amazing bands---I was probably the only person in Alltel arena who mostly watched the bass players! Carrie had been the musical guest the night I was on Saturday Night Live, so I had the opportunity to meet her and her band that night. I truly admire and appreciate talent and even more, I admire people who take their talent and work incredibly hard to polish it to the point of performance perfection. Many fans think these guys just get on stage and play well—what they don’t see is the sacrifices of time and rehearsal that take it to a true art form.

On another note, I was very disturbed by a column by Robert Novak that quoted some “anonymous source” in saying that while I strongly supported Senator McCain, I thought that maybe America “deserves Obama,” as if to say that I secretly hoped he won.

Where do people dream up this stuff? Forget the “anonymous” sources—there’s nothing anonymous about my stand and here it is. We don’t “deserve” Obama—we DESERVE a President with the character, convictions, experience, and wisdom to see the problems we face and try to lead us to solve them. We deserve a President who truly loves this country and from whom there is no doubt as to his respect for Faith, Family, and the kind of Freedom that those before us have given their lives to pass on to us. John McCain meets that criteria and that’s why I am campaigning for him and not hoping for Obama. The nonsense that I want Obama to win this year so I can run in 2012 is absurd. I love my country more than my own ambition. So let the record and truth be clear. And let the “anonymous” sources either show the courage to stand up and be accountable for their comments or shut up and leave commentary to people who aren’t afraid of their own shadow.

I hope you have a great week. I will be doing some commentary Tuesday night on MSNBC’s coverage of the election and later in the week will be speaking to a health conference in St. Louis, the national NRA convention, the graduation exercises at Hope High School in Hope, Arkansas where Janet and I graduated 35 years ago, and then Saturday, I’ll be the commencement speaker at Patrick Henry College in Virginia. Somewhere in the midst of that, I will be writing more on the book that comes out this fall—and I still hope you’ll share YOUR stories of the campaign with me.

God bless, keep the faith, and pray for America!

Permalink: http://www.huckpac.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=1638

1 comment:

alabamappop said...

Mike, wish I could be there to see you at the graduation of old HHS. I graduated with you also 35 years ago. Keep up the good work.