Friday, June 26, 2009

Night Life In the ER

Well, I've had an exciting week of medical adventures. Last week, I was having a few vision problems and had to have an MRI. Turns out that I had suffered from an Aura Visual Migraine. Something I've had to educate myself on this past week.

A more intense medical journey began for me on Wednesday night however. I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my lower right abdomen and could not even lay down because my entire body jabbed with pain and spasms. I called my doctor to schedule an appointment and as usual, she fit me right in. When she began to examine me and asked me to lie down on the table, all I could do was scream and cry because the pain was so extreme. It literally shot all the way up past my shoulders!

She ran a few tests and discovered that my WBC was elevated and that I had a bit of blood in my urine. She figured that I probably developed a kidney stone so she scheduled a CT scan for me. I was reluctant to believe I had a stone. I wasn't vomiting or anything, but figured I may be in the early stages of it if my doctor thought so. I've never had them before so it wasn't my job to diagnosis myself.

I called to tell Ray that I had to be in Winston for the scan and almost immediately he announced he would leave work to come home and take me himself. That was not something I expected of him at all. I've been so use to taking care of myself when I've been ill in the past that it was very meaningful to me. Here's a perfect example:

Three or four months after we moved to Atlanta, I became very ill early one morning and had to get Brady off to school and drive myself with Brandon to the Emergency Room. Brandon was only 4 at the time and we didn't know very many people at all except for the few acquaintances I had made at the church we had been attending. Eric was completely unreachable. I didn't have a cell phone back then and had to rely on the hospital to call my parents back in WV and have them to try and help me get a hold of Eric. My parents tried calling the post and commander until they had reached him. I had called my pastor and he helped me find someone to take care of Brandon for me and helped me arrange for Brady to be picked up from school at the end of the day.

They thought I was going to have to have my ovaries removed and they were already planning on during surgery on me. Understand that I showed up in the ER around 7:30 am and it was around 2 pm when they were discussing surgery. I still hadn't heard from Eric. His commander called to check on me, but nothing from my so-called spouse.

Finally, they announced that I had a severe kidney infection due to having a congenital kidney. Something that neither my parents or I ever knew I was born with. One of the gals from the church came by to take me home from the hospital that evening around 6:30 p.m. Around 7:30 that night, Eric arrived at home and I'll never forget the words he spoke to me. "Guess you weren't that bad if they sent you home now are ya??" There was no how are you? I'm sorry I didn't make it to the hospital..........I'm sorry I didn't call....Do you need anything?? NOTHING!!!!!

Last night, I experienced what it's like to truly have someone care for you. My doctor called and spoke with me immediately after my CT Scan was done and instructed me to go directly to the ER because there were no stones, but bleeding in my pelvic area. Yes, I got scared.........the last thing I wanted was to be admitted to the hospital. Especially one that I didn't even know anything about! Ray didn't leave my side for a second and I truly believe that if they would have admitted me, he would have stayed right there the entire time. He spoke up when he was curious about my care and I knew that I was safe just because he was there. He didn't even take a smoke break!! Now THAT says a lot!

After they doped me up on morphine and ran all their great tests they came to the conclusion that I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. Of course, a few of the nurses were a bit more concerned over Michael Jackson's passing than on me..........but I had the best medic in the world taking care of me. I am so truly blessed having him in my life. He has shown me so many great things about a relationship. He makes me feel cared for and safe.

Now I just have to lay around for a few days, pop some pain killers (which are totally making me feel groggy and icky) and regain some strength. Thanks to all my great friends who started that prayer chain last night and sweet, sweet Kara was ready to hop in her car and head for the hospital. What else could I possibly ask for in life? I have so many things to make me happy..........even when I dying in pain!! LOL

No comments: